Any company can put together a profitable strategy to pad their pockets but it’s rare to find a business that thinks outside of themselves. For the sake of income, many corporations ignore their community and do whatever it takes to work in the black – but not every company. Below is a list of the most giving companies in Arizona that are all-stars in both business and their communities.
- JP Morgan Chase – While most credit and banking institutions are not getting the best rap as of late, JP Morgan Chase remains one of Arizona’s most generous companies. In fact, JP Morgan Chase donated over $1 million in 2010 to help two Phoenix communities struggling with unemployment, poverty and low graduation rates. This was just one of their many charitable donations in 2010.
- Jawa is a Scottsdale based software company that has launched an impressive philanthropic feat: each month, one employee’s charity of choice receives a monetary donation on behalf of Jawa. It’s a program called “Jawa Gives” and it has helped many Arizona communities, organizations and citizens in need.
- Go Daddy – Known as the world’s largest Web host provider and number one domain name registrar, Go Daddy is headquartered in Scottsdale and widely revered as a philanthropic giant. How much exactly? Well, they donated $2.5 million to charitable causes in 2009 (including a $100K donation to the Arizona Humane Society) and have largely exceeded that amount in 2010.
- Salt River Solar & Wind – Not every company can afford to donate millions per year but charity is relative. That said, a local Arizona company, Salt River Solar & Wind, has been known to dig deep into their pockets to better their community. Recently, they donated an $11,000 solar array to another local business, Peoria Theater, and will ultimately save that theater $5,000 per month in energy costs. The Peoria Theater is just one of many organizations that Salt River Solar & Wind has donated to in the last year and a half.
- Harrah’s Ak Chin Casino Resort – Owned by the Ak-Chin Indian community and managed by Harrah’s Entertainment, the Ak-Chin Casino and Resort has earned all kinds of recognition for their philanthropic ventures including being ranked number one on Business Week’s list of “Most Generous Cash Givers as a Percentage of Pre-Tax Profit” and number 14 on the list of “Largest Cash Givers.”
- Bashas’ SuperMarkets – Bashas’ is an Arizona-based chain of SuperMarkets that proudly supports various charities throughout the year through its extraordinary Charity of the Month program – similar to Jawa’s program above. As suggested, selected charities are featured in their stores each month and have highlighted their support in causes such as the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, City of Hope and various holiday oriented drives.
- Avnet Inc – Based in Phoenix, Avnet Inc. is an electronics parts distributor that is ranked amongst the most elite businesses in Arizona in both revenues and their charitable donations. Though their numbers can’t compete with that of JP Morgan Chase and Go Daddy, they have recently donated $4,000 to Maggie’s Place, a support group for expecting mothers, and a $10,000 grant to Ecademie High School.
- US Airways – Based in Tempe, AZ but servicing the entire nation, US Airways rounds out our list as a noble company in a not-so-popular industry. In fact, their company functions around the belief that good corporate citizenship is in the best interest of their business to ensure the airline’s long-term viability. Because of this belief, they have an educational foundation that provides scholarships to the less fortunate and a corporate giving program that invests in nonprofit arts and culture, health, human services, education, environment and civic organizations to enhance the quality of life in their hub, Phoenix.