I don’t know how many posts I have read that start out with “Buying a home is a big deal…blah…blah…blah.” I wish I could have been there to write some of these posts because they are boring as heck and rehash the same old “blah, blah, blah.”
Fortunately for me, what is missing in these posts is a little personality. Sure buying a house is a big deal, but people, we don’t have to be so dramatic about it. Home buyers are already worried about how long they may have to keep their personal belongings locked up with their storage provider and other things to now have their world get worked up even more by having their real estate agent or loan officer tell that buying a home is a big deal. – I say, Dah!
How about something like this: “Home buying is a process, or a formula. If you follow the rules you’ll qualify to buy something – especially if you are committed to doing what it takes to own your own place.
The home buying process in short looks like this:
1. Get Pre-Approved – you can start with getting prequalified, but why not take that step one further and get your credit report and personal financials analyzed so you know exactly what your options are?
2. If you get pre-approved great – then it is time to talk to a real estate agent. Your agent should zero in pretty quickly if they know where you want to live and what you can afford as well as your likes and dislikes in a home.
3. If you don’t get pre-approved, and you are committed to being a home owner, then you’ll most likely have to either work on your financial situation, or your credit report. A good loan officer should be able to walk you through either of these processes to get you qualified in the future.
4. Find a house that you like and put in an offer.
5. Have your offer accepted or consider the seller’s counter offer.
6. Accept a sales price and complete the loan qualification process.
7. Go to your loan closing, or closing escrow and get your home keys.”
Of course, home buying goes a little deeper into this list, but the point I’m making is that it is a formula and rules to play and if we play by them we get to buy a house – and if we don’t it’s a big deal.